Members present: Jim Brown, Lena Buggs, Amber Garlan, Jim Ivey, Brandon Long, Carol Mellom and Mel Thorsen (by phone)
Facilitator: Lena Buggs
Note Taker: Amber Garlan
4/9/16 Green Party CC Meeting
Communications Committee – Brandon Long and Jim Ivey
- 2,177 Facebook followers
- 1,195 twitter followers
- Website is up
- meeting with Matt Kozlowski today to work on website
- Put candidate information on website
- Eric Gilbertson helped with the 4th CD website
- CC email not working
Membership Committee – Brandon Long for Andy Hamerlinck and Jim Ivey
- Search for Soil and Water candidates
- Filing date for Soil and Water candidates is 5/17/16 through 5/31/16
- Barbara Huning from Rochester donated $100 a month, because of frustration with the Bernie Sanders Campaign.
- Brandon had a phone conference meeting with Barbara and wants to set up a meeting in Rochester.
- A woman from the southwest suburbs called to know about the Jill Stein campaign.
Politics Committee – Lena Buggs and Mel Thorsen
- While the legislature is in session the politics committee meets every Thursday in the Transportation building cafeteria.
- The session ends 5/3/16
- There is a bill at the capital SF2985 and HF3549 that would move electing delegates for Presidential candidates to a caucus.
- There is another bill that would move primaries back from August to June. This could effect the signature gathering time line for ballot access.
Office Committee – Carol Mellom
- Carol Mellom, Tori Johnston and Becki Smith cleaned the office
- Going through the files is the next task.
4th CD - Lena
- Candidate screening will be 5/1/16
- 4/15/16 is the deadline for candidate questionnaires to be screened
- Lena will send out an email telling everybody about the candidate questionnaire
- Beverly Hanson will be mailed the Sunflower because she does not have a computer and requested information about what is going on in the Green Party.
5th CD - Brandon
- The next meeting of the 5th CD is 4/11/16
- The 5th CD needs names and phone numbers
- Jim is send names and phone numbers to Doug
- Brandon meet with Russ “Rooster” Henry to run for Soil and Water Commissioner
- Brandon wants to get Cam Gordon to reach out to Nekima Levy-Pounds to run for office as a Green
- 5th CD is trying to reach out for School Board Candidates
1st CD – Jim Brown
- Mark Freedman who was going to run for Senator Kathy Sharon's seat has withdrawn. Mark Freedman is a single payer advocate.
Itasca County Greens - Mel
- There is going to be Greens from St. Paul driving to Grand Rapids to help Dennis Barsness to gather signatures to be on the ballot for House of Representative 5B.
- Mel Thorsen will be running for Soil and Water Commissioner.
- The Itasca County Greens met Tuesday 4/5/16, focused mainly on Dennis Barsness's campaign.
- The Itasca County Greens are putting together a flier
6/11/16 Biennial Convention – Lena Buggs
- Lena has called the Kelly Inn and St. Cloud State University for a location.
- The price of a location at the Kelly Inn is $358 (backup location)
- The price of a location at St. Cloud State University is $375 (first choice)
- 5/7/16 is the cutoff date, if we have not heard back from St. Cloud University by 5/7/16, we will go with the Kelly Inn.
- A second round of postcards will be mailed 5/20/16
- The order of business will be Presidential delegate election, CC elections, Bylaws and Platform.
- Darryl Chuney has responded to Lena's request for an appearance of a Green Party Presidential candidate.
- We will try to make Skype available to other candidates
Green Party endorsement of Wayne Pauluk and Sharon Lemay
- Because Wayne Pauluk and Sharon Lemay do not have a Green Party local where they live, they will have their endorsement meeting at the 5/14/16 CC meeting.
- Wayne Pauluk is from Maple Grove and is running for Hennipen County Commissioner.
- Sharon Lemay is from Anoka and will be running for Soil and Water Commissioner
- They will be contacted to come to the 5/14/16 CC meeting for their endorsement meeting.
Follow up on the Ecology Democracy Party discussion
- Andy Schuler talked to Ken Pentel about the Ecology Democracy Party joining with the Green Party for work on issues and workshops.
- We will ask Andy what Ken said.
June CC meeting – Amber
- Since the Green Party Biennial meeting is 6/11/16, should we move the June CC meeting to another date?
- The CC passed by consensus to have the June CC meeting 6/4/16.
- Amber asked Dave Bicking if the meeting room was free, and Dave said yes, and that he would put us on the schedule for 6/4/16.
Booths and Parades? (MayDay, Pride, Juneteenth) – Amber
- Who will organize the Green Party presence in these events?
- We will ask the 5th CD if they are interested in organizing any of these events
Green Party booth at the MN State Fair
- We have set 3 goals for the Green Party to accomplish at the Green Party booth at the MN State Fair:
1. Sign 10 people up each day as members of the Green Party (focus on growing the party)
- 2. Have people sign a petition (gather data)
- 3. Have contribution forms available (if we get enough monthly donors, we can pay for the Green Party booth at the MN State Fair)
- Have a map of where Green Party candidates are running
- Buy admission tickets for volunteers
- recruit volunteers at the Biennial Convention
Anti-Capitalism Amendment – Brandon
- Youth Caucus of the National Green Party endorsed this amendment and are looking for state parties to endorse.
- The Green Party of MN passed by consensus endorsing this amendment.
- We recommend that our delegates endorse this amendment, and that the Green Party of MN be a co-sponsor.
Do you like this post?